Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Widgets

Magical Rewards Part 2 (The Stocking)

It was a rainy winter day in Disneyland. I was scheduled to take pictures of guests with the Christmas tree in Town Square. I got into work to find that my position was obsolete on rainy days. One, for some reason, guests don't like to stand in the rain for pictures with a tree. Two, the equipment could get wet and damaged. They were going to send me home, but
I protested. I hated clocking in only to go home right away. The opportunity arose that I could trade Town Square Characters photographer places and send him home. I jumped at it. Characters have to be protected from the rain, which means I would be protected as well. I only went out for a moment when they told me to go back to base. While there I found out that all of the meet and greets would now happen in Innoventions in Tomorrowland.

I raced over there and got ready. It took a awhile for all the characters to get there and ready, but once we got out there, it was a magical situation. Imagine, you're looking at some interactive game and them bam Mickey appears. It was so magical. It even got better when my friend, Lauren came by to see me at work. She said later that it was a special day for her seeing me work with the guests and creating magic. It's just what I do, I said.

While taking pictures, I noticed a mother and daughter handing things to the characters or character attendants. I was a bit confused. After each one of them got one, they came over to me. I was excited to ask them what they were handing out. They presented my with a small Christmas Stocking. The one in the picture above. I asked why. They told me, "The characters give so much to bring joy and magic to those that visit the parks, we just wanted to give back to them. You are creating magic too, here's one for you." I was shocked and almost in tears.

I learned that day, that you don't have to be a Disney Cast Member to create magic for someone else. I made it a point from that day on, to create some magic every time I went to the parks on my days off.

I'm excited to be given the chance again to work with those that create magic daily.

What are other great ways to give back to those that create magic?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!