Monday, March 3, 2014

Widgets

Trimaxian Doombuggy



This last weekend was pretty crazy for me. I said goodbye to a not-so-trusted friend, Trimaxian Doombuggy. I should have known by naming him that, but I thought it would be cool. Note to self, don't name things after failed Disney movies and anything with the word Doom in it.
Max was my car for the last 3 years. In that short time, I poured more money into fixing him than I bought him for. Mind you, he took me many times to Disneyland and back. And I even slept in him on many occasions to save a bit of money from hotel rooms.

He was old when I got him. He was 20 years old and had a bad engine. I had to replace that. Then starters, alternators, and other electrical issues. I even got in a slight accident with him over the summer which broke the right headlight and bent the hood. Although, he was hand painted with chalkboard paint so my kids and random people could draw on him, the paint was chipping and needed some help. Needless to say, he wasn't looking too hot.

The last straw was what happened on last Tuesday. Driving along on the highway a gust of wind, combined with my going close to 10 over like the rest of the fast traffic, caught my already loose hood and whipped it up into my windshield. All I could see of the road ahead of me was through the small slit between my car and the now vertical hood.

I pulled over as quickly as I could with the traffic. I got out of the car and tried to lock the hood down again. No such luck. The windshield was badly cracked but not in my immediate line of sight. The hood was even more out of shape than it had been the past 6 months. I checked Max for a rope, but could only find a tow rope. Instead of using that bright yellow ribbon to attract more attention to myself, I chose to use my sturdy leather belt. Now tired down, I drove the rest of the 30 miles to school and wondered if people would laugh at the Pac-Man chomping car as it munched on each white dashed line.

I could have tried to fix him, and maybe I should have, but to me, Max was dead. I sold him above Kelly Blue Book value, but I might have gotten more. Oh well.

What did you name your car?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!