Saturday, February 15, 2014

Widgets

Camera Choice

I had a great discussion yesterday with a gal applying for the Disney College Program. She is interested in getting a new camera for her stay at the Walt Disney World Resort in Florida. I asked a few questions in a flow chart type fashion to see her needs. She's been interested in getting a DSLR. Now I own one for myself, but I do not recommend them for everyone. Or even for the majority of people. DSLR's, even the cheaper ones are great, but they are for those interested in the trade. As in they are interested in getting paid for their photos.

So what should I get Mr. High and Mighty DSLR owner?
This again depends on what you intend to do with it.

The Test:

I just want to take pictures of my friends and myself having fun.
I like to carry very little every where I go.
I may occasionally get wet.
I want to easily share my content with the world.
I want to have others use my equipment and take pictures of me.


If you agree with these statements, get a good smart phone. Samsung Galaxy S line or an iPhone (did I just endorse Apple :P) Or get a simplified Point and Shoot like the Nikon Coolpix or Canon PowerShots.

I agree with most of those but...
I wish to publish my content and make a bit of money from ads on blogs and other sites I own.
Picture quality means a lot to me.
Video needs to look good enough for Youtube.

If you feel you agree with these statements, it time you look at the higher end Compact Point and Shoots. Nikon Coolpix or Canon PowerShots.

Sounds good but...
I am looking at better quality video and the infrequent photo.
I like to highly edit my vlog posts before uploading.

You might want to look at the Kodak PlaySport, the Canon Vixia, or even the Xacti line of camcorders.

Still not you? Try this...
I don't mind carrying a little bag of things I need.
I want to learn what I'm doing for a class.
I plan to go professional at some point.
Photography fascinates me as an art form and I like to take more creative shots.
I am the one behind the camera, not the front.
I don't really like people touching my stuff.

Welcome to my world! I am the proud owner of a Canon T2i. What some call "Pre-fessional" or "Pro-sumer" DSLR cameras. Getting a top of the line Walmart DSLR is a great place to start.

Still not talking to your soul am I? Try this...
I plan to sell my photos to clients or to magazines.
I like big bags of equipment plus a lackey to help me with my gear.
I don't mind waiting for the perfect shot.
I need to take pictures in order to eat.
I have lens envy.

You are the die hard. The 1337. It's time to fork over the real bucks and get yourself the Canon 1DX (or whatever they have now as the best of the best). Get all the lenses you'll ever need and then spend every paycheck on the equivalent of the ultimate car stereo, lighting equipment (strobes, flashes, stands, gels, the works).

Ok I'm over doing it a bit. You can make money with even the cheaper DSLR's. They have great quality and do great video as well. This is why I'm where I'm at. Technically people have made money with their camera phone. It doesn't really matter what you use, it's who you are. Make your soul shine in your art. Unless you're looking at doing selfies and pictures of your lunch, then you can just stick to Snapchat.

What do you think of my list? Where do you fit in?

lens rental

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!