Friday, February 21, 2014

Widgets

The Phone Interview

On Wednesday night at 9:15 pm, I got my phone interview for the Disney College Program for Fall 2014. I was going to record it via my computer but I wasn't able to get it started in time. In the moment I got a bit flustered and so I didn't write down her name like I should have. It's great to use their name during the call at least one other time than in the beginning and once at the end. But I did remember to do a few things right. Here are some tips and a bit more about what I experienced.

Tips:



  • Have a glass of water near by. This helped me calm down as well as make sure I didn't have a dry mouth throughout.
  • Be ready to answer questions about possible role scenarios. I got questions about character attendant and how I would explain where Mickey was going to when he had to leave. Here is a page that helped me answer questions before hand and I even had them on my computer screen.
  • Know your job history and certain job responsibilities that match with what you are applying for. I've had many jobs that were fast-paced, and jobs that have had me work in groups or on my own.
  • Know your weaknesses and how you are trying to improve them. Make sure your weakness isn't theft or drug use. Killing is okay... J/K.
  • For more great tips, listen to this British guy. I know it's 40 minutes long, but it's worth it.



My Call:

Now since I just need to get back to Disney any way I could I applied for both parks and both terms available (Fall/Fall Advantage). On top of that I expressed interest in almost anything. So when my interviewer started to go through the list, I found myself getting flustered by how long it was. Photopass was my top choice in both resorts, but since I had done it before, she didn't ask too many questions about it. Only a few: Can you handle the load of the camera and equipment? Can you stand for hours? Will you be able to handle the weather conditions? Even the comfortable to handle a DSLR was asked.

I'm going to say this right now. My interviewer must have been very tired. Though very cheery and great to chat with, I could sense it was late and she was almost done. Let's face it, it was 11:45 pm her time when we got off the phone.

Looking back I feel I failed to mention one aspect that I could have added to two different questions. One of which was why did you want to work for Disney AGAIN!? And the other was Why are you interested in Custodial? Both of which I failed to mention I love to serve people and create magical moments. I got addicted to it when I started working there in '09. So I feel I could have added that in, but over all I did very well. Even for interrupting her at one point, but I understood where she was going with her questions and I went to clarify before she could finish. She was asking about how I had food handling on my application. I told her that my food handling skills are not what she might expect. With one job I was delivering frozen goods, the other I was helping assemble dinners to be frozen. Not really the busser or short order cook needed for the parks.

The call lasted 26 minutes and went very well. I made her laugh and was able to get my points across clearly. Some people look at length as a determination of success. I don't know if that's true, but if your interview is less than 10 minutes and they don't ask the required questions of Disney Look and nationality, I'm sorry to tell you, expect a NLIC (No Longer In Consideration) on your dashboard soon.

Tell me about your experiences. What do you think you did well and what would you have changed?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!